Sunday 6 October 2013

Another AVA Session - `Seed Heads'

Despite the hectic activity dealing with the many issues of moving to a new home I managed to get to the latest AVA session last Thursday. Apart from that painting is taking a very back seat at the moment and this is likely to last until Xmas at least. It will be weeks before my `studio' is fit for purpose. At the AVA the subject was `Seed Heads'.  Apart from lack of time I'm lacking inspiration and the gardens and park near me didn't produce anything very interesting. Knowing that there was some colourful foliage and blackberries outside the Hall I took my secateurs and cut some, putting them in a glass from the hall kitchen cupboard.


Once again we were rather thin on the ground with only eleven members present. My position is to the right of Pat Walker on the left. You may also note a more informal arrangement of tables. than previously.


Pauline Vowles


Jan Weeks


Yvonne Harry





Seeds (?) Waterford A3 Rough 140lb (300gsm)

I was a little flexible with the subject matter but the blackberry fruits do become the seeds - if not eaten - and the lovely autumn coloured foliage, amongst which they were growing invited a  combination of the two. I used Ivory Black and Moonglow (Daniel Smith) for the blackberries. Other colours included Perylene Maroon, Quinacridone Coral and the greens are Sap Green and Green-Gold. Some Prussian Blue was also added, most colours wet into wet. Touches of Orange and also Quinacridone Rose. Brushes were my usual Escodas and Isabey retractables. I first made a loose drawing using a No7 Pentel propelling pencil with 2B lead.

I'll get back to you soon John!







4 comments:

ann @ studiohyde said...

A lovely collection of paintings from your group Peter, it's great to see them all.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Ann. Nice to hear from you.

Yvonne Harry said...

Despite the 'flexibility' your painting has some lovely colours, Peter.

Jan Weeks said...

Love the colours in leaves on left; a lively loose painting.