Wednesday 10 April 2013

Latest `Colorful Bird'.

This weeks subject on the Facebook page `Paint Colorful Birds for  Fun' is the Lapuli Bunting, an exotic bird, obviously from tropical climes, I'd not previously heard of. Anyone is welcome to join in and post.
Lapuli Bunting. 12" x 9" Fontenay 140lb (300gsm) Not

This is a simple painting that was completed in about 40 minutes. after first making a basic drawing using a No.7 mechanical pencil with 2B lead. It allowed me to major on two of my (current) favourite colours, Translucent Orange from Schminke (PO71) and Turquoise from Lukas (PB16). I also used Ivory Black (Maimeri), Cerulean for the shadow areas on the breast, and very diluted Raw Sienna. The background and branches have some Raw Umber and very diluted Hookers Green with a touch of Quinacridone Coral (Daniel Smith). There are also touches of white acrylic.
I'm quite pleased with the result.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this little fella and beautiful colours.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks for comments Jan. I rather like this one myself.

Unknown said...

I just found this site this morning and was so excited to see the beautiful pics. I love your little bird. I joined on my FB and look forward to seeing all of them. Deborah Kent in Texas

Peter Ward said...

Welcome Deborah and thank you for your kind comments.

Ray Maclachlan Art said...

You are certainly mastering the painting of birds Peter. Well done. Do like that Orange you use.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Ray. The Orange PO71 is only available currently from Schminke (Translucent Orange) and Lukas (Permanent Orange.

Unknown said...

Another little gem for your collection.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks for comments Mick. I must do other subjects though as not everyone likes bird or animal paintings!

Anonymous said...

Peter, lovely watercolor. THis bird is Lazuli Bunting (Passerina amoena). It is native to the wster and southwest portion of the United States.