Monday 13 August 2012

Evie by Gerard Hendriks.

My last post but one was a feature on Gerard Hendriks the  Dutch  master watercolourist. In the course of preparing it I contacted Gerard, who was most helpful in answering requests for information.  A few days after publishing the feature I received an e-mail with attached image from Gerard. To my amazement it read " I also tried to paint Evie. I do not know Evie. It is more difficult painting from a photo if I do not know the girl". The photograph used was the recent one on which I based my own poor effort. I immediately replied saying how delighted and astonished - indeed honoured - he had taken the trouble to do this.  Gerard replied that as I liked it he would send it to me but would do some further work first. Another e-mail arrived with the definitive image.


Evie - 57cm x 38cm Hannemuhle Leonardo 300lb (600gsm)

Arriving home this afternoon, after a trip out with Evie, who is with us today and tomorrow, what should have arrived but the parcel, left by the delivery van in the care of a neighbour.


I still find myself somewhat bemused by what has happened and I can't imagine many other artists doing something similar. He has refused any recompense, even for the carriage costs, saying he "likes to make people happy". I was a fan before, an even bigger one now and can only repeat my thanks. What a generous man! The painting will go to a quality framer in Bath and remain a treasured family possession. Thank you once again Gerard. 

25 comments:

Judy said...

Wow Peter, what kind and generous gesture! The portrait is really amazing! You and Evie must be delighted!

Peter Ward said...

Yes Judy we are.

artist said...

What an amazing portrait and a wonderful gift for you and your grand daughter.

Sharon Whitley said...

I LOVE stories like this - how wonderful - it really puts your faith back in human nature when sometimes all we here is bad things, you and Evie must be thrilled - it's a big piece too, what a lovely guy!

Peter Ward said...

What can I say Delilah and Sharon you've both said it for me.

Ray Maclachlan Art said...

You must have been blown away Peter. The likeness is perfect and the colours go so well. The mouth ties it all together.

Unknown said...

That's one of the loveliest stories I've heard in a long time and if I dare say it he's done a better job than we saw from yourself. Marvellous.

Carmen said...

I am constantly amazed by stories like this but also love reading them so much. What a fabulous thing to do and a gorgeous (and HUGE) portrait at that. Lovely to read this :)

Oscar Solis said...

A true gentleman.

Peter Ward said...

Quite right ray. I was blown away by it. I'm still staggered by Gerards generosity.

Peter Ward said...

I wouldn't dream of comparing my effort with that of Gerards Mick. I only wish I could.

Peter Ward said...

It is amazing isn't it Carmen. I think this is a one in a thousand happening.

Peter Ward said...

A charming man and a true gentleman indeed Oscar.

Irena said...

What a heartwarming story. Such a generous and lovely man.

John Softly said...

Peter,
Now you know what it feels like. You did exactly the same for me with your painting of my Great Grandfather.
There are many generous gentlemen within our chosen pastime / profession and you are one - what goes around comes around.
Beautiful painting!
Cheers
John

Peter Ward said...

Nice of you to say so John. It isn't exactly the same though as I'm not Gerard Hendricks.

Peter Ward said...

Thanks Irena. It is a great heartwarming story isn't it. He is a super man. I've only communicated with Gerard by e-mail but he comes across as so modest and nice.

Laura said...

Wow lucky you Peter. :-)

Peter Ward said...

True Laura!

Trevor Lingard said...

A stunning portrait by Gerard.
A lovely story.
A lovely gesture which I am sure will stay with you for ever.
There are indeed some nice people in this world.
Regards
Trevor

Peter Ward said...

Thanks for commenting Trevor. I think you sum it up very well.

HELENA TROVAJ (fd Öhman) said...

Hi Peter
I found your blog by just googling around and im glad I did:) Its always funny to find others who have à big and genuine interest in Watercolor!
Im à big fanatic painter myself and if you got the time you are welcome to visit My blog:)
Kind regards Helena Öhman

Peter Ward said...

Welcome Helena and thank you for commenting. I've looked at your blog and bookmarked it. Always nice to meet fellow fanatics.

Unknown said...

Wow Peter, what a response to Evie's portrait and it is indeed a heartwarming story. It has also inspired me to have another go at painting my granddaughter Evie

Peter Ward said...

You finally made it Jan! It is inspiring isn't it. I have another portrait finished of Evie which I think is much better than my previous effort and it will be posted soon. However I now turn to trying to produce something worthwhile for Harvey and Mackenzie.